Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Why coconut milk?

Photo Credit:
Amazon.com

Occasionally I am asked why my little one drinks coconut milk.  In truth, I know I know the reasons, but I can't always spout them off lickety-split.  So, imagine my delight when The Nourished Kitchen (a neat new foodie blog I've been following) does an expose on how to make your own coconut milk, from a real coconut.  Not that I've ever done that, but maybe that will be just one of the things I try this year!


In other news, here's something new I started doing the last few months of 2010, and maybe it will be helpful for you too.

Do you always pick up the same items at the store, nearly in the same quantity?  Now that we're a family of 3 with a pretty regular schedule, it seems that we consistently go through the same food items from month to month.  Of course, I try to stock up and save when these items may be on sale at the local grocery or health food store, but I have found that sometimes an even better option is shopping online.

Guzzling down her "coco" & discovering her
Dyson vacuum cleaner on Christmas morning!
I follow Saving Naturally and from time to time, she'll post updates of deals on Amazon.com.  You can "subscribe & save" and save 15% more on those items if you subscribe to buying that particular item every month, two months, or so on.

So for us, because our little one is a little coconut milk drinker, we regularly "save" and receive a shipment of 12 cans of coconut milk per month, and Coombs Grade B Maple Syrup every 2 months.  These prices are just as good or better than what I can get at my local health food store with coupons. And shipping is free.  So why not do that?  I promise I'm not being paid by Amazon or these companies.  Just wanting to help a brotha or a sista out!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Megan! It's great to hear from a fellow newb :) Actually, I've been doing this for about a year, but I read blogs like "The Healthy Home Economist" and "Cheeseslave" and I feel like I have so far to go. *sigh* One step at a time, right?

    Anyways, I just mean mason jars, because the measurements are marked on the side. I've been doing it long enough now, though, to where I eyeball it on whatever container I grab first :) I put the baking soda in a separate container than the acv and at first I would mix the water in BEFORE I got in the shower but it would be cold by the time I used it so now I just fill it up with shower water so it's warm.

    HTH. Sorry if any of it was unclear. Looking forward to checking out your blog and learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. LOVE me some coconut milk! We don't have any dairy allergies in my family, but I buy it anyways to use here and there in place of raw milk to cut costs PLUS it makes the BEST hot cocoa! Add a heaping tablespoon of cocoa, tablespoon of raw honey and 1/2 tsp vanilla per cup of coco milk and heat in a pan, whisking well.

    ReplyDelete