Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Did Wall Street Journal read my blog?

My younger brother tweeted at me that I wrote an article for the Wall Street Journal and tagged it "GotMilk".  At first I was afraid to know what in the world he was referring to until I saw the article.

Admittedly, the article is mostly about almond milk, which this household has consumed in moderation here & there, but there is a shout-out to coconut milk and how the two (primarily almond milk) are making a racket in grocery stores. 

Almond milk is a decent alternative but it is something I would also stress in moderation.  Without knowing all the chemistry and science behind it, I understand that there is not a perfect balance of Omega-3's and Omega-6's in almond milk, which make it not as ideal.  Yet I would venture to say it is still a better alternative to soy milk, which the article points out "contains estrogen-like chemicals, called phytoestrogens, and heightened exposure to estrogen has been linked with increased risk of breast cancer."

In this case, homemade almond milk is also superior because by soaking the almonds, you'll improve the almond milk's digestibility and be able to avoid preservatives or other funky ingredients manufacturers might add to the mix.  

But I'm not going to lie, this Nourishing Newbie knows not every one can strive for homemade all the time, and has been known to purchase almond milk for the little one when coconut milk was not easily accessible.  I will also note that she woke up screaming 2 out of the 5 nights when I was rotating her milk choices like that, for what that's worth!! ;)

On behalf of the WSJ just kidding, this is the Nourishing Newbie, signing off.

PS: If you enjoy cow's milk, but find yourself with some sort of lactose intolerance or dairy allergy, look in your area for a distributor of raw milk or check out realmilk.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment